My Journey Finally Begins at age 54

My Journey Finally Begins at age 54
On the road towards Bryce Canyon

Monday, July 26, 2010

Creating a nurturing work place... in a sometimes hostile environment.


Work, even when I was a stay at home Mom, is essential to my over all well being and sense of self. I have always taken great pleasure in work and always looked forward to heading out the door on a Monday morning to go to work. That joy dimnished back in October of 2009 when I was laid off from Qwest for over 9 months. It has almost vanished from site since the economy went on a downward spiral, the unemployment lines grow longer, and older people in their 50s with good educations and experience are no longer valued... and tossed aside. I have value... and I have worked hard to be able to hold a good job. A good job?

Now what once brought me joy and comfort brings me stress and fear and that stress and fear is definitely contributing to the growth of cancers and the liver disease. The question is, what, if anything, can I do about it? Yes, I put out resumes daily, I even obtained a Real Estate license in the hope of building a business, but the economy looms heavy over all... and all stagnates. So what can I do?

I am a person who has always loved rituals and schedules. I realize that rituals of self nurturance are the cement that binds the day together especially as I now spend anywhere from 8 - 12 hours in the very pits of Hell and away from home and safety. At home, I can go and get that favorite cup of flavored coffee. I can glance at the cactus on my patio or the pictures that show so much love. I can smell the lavender that eases my pain and calms my soul. I can listen to classical music or the gurgle of a fountain. How can I do that in a cubicle where we are treated like cogs in a machine and even a moments conversation is frowned upon... with quotas ever increasing and expectations going above what most of the people will never attain? How do I bring peace and contentment into this work environment? Can I?

How can I create a pretty and pleasing workplace in this environment; a comfortable "nest" in a sterile chatoic environment? Perhaps I can bring in a pretty desk lamp? We have already had to remove personal plants but, maybe some pretty baskets and a small amount of potpouri that I am NOT going to have a reaction too. I have photos of Tom and Jessie... maybe a mirror and a few books of poetry or even a Dr. Seuss book. I could take in a pretty pillow or make a small afghan throw (as I am so often very cold there despite 100 + degree temperatures outside... Yes, these things I can do and will try to do to ease the pressure and stress.

I know!!! I can create a comfort drawer as well! I can fill it with those special things that are needed sometimes like a small sewing kit, tissues, breathmints, a couple of blank birthday card and cards of encouragement for co-workers. I can add some licorice and some dark bitter chocolate, some chai tea and hot cocoa. Then I should have some pain reliever, a band-aid or two and some hand sanitizer...

Another thing I could do is to create a little toy box of sorts. My daughters attorney 12 years ago, Karen (a very intelligent woman) often would take out this expandable ball and move it in her hands as she contemplated cases. I could create a small toy box at work and for a few minutes out of each day NOT have to be so grown up and mature. Maybe a small puzzle, a slinky, a little etch-a-sketch, my chinese health (chime balls), a kaleidescope, and even some silly putty... that might relieve some stress.

I already have a CD player at work, but would, sometime soon, REALLY like to get an IPOD and load it up with so many of my favorites... from 17th century chamber music, to classcal, to folk to rock to pop... but calming not frantic or heavy metal at work.

I can start to do what I did at Qwest, where we really were a team and a family... every few weeks I can bring in baskets of something good to eat (not necessarily fattening) but homemade, comforting, and tasty...

Perhaps, if I treat myself well on the job, the job will feel that vibe and treat me and others well too? I know, I know... strange little pagan that I am... but could not all of that be an inspiration?

My first degree is in psychology, and the truth is that the therapeutic value of a calming, friendly workplace is the first thing employers SHOULD think about as a benefit but it is generally the last.. Working happier accomplishes much more than working harder, don't you agree?

"When we truly care for ourselves, it becomes possible to care for more profoundly about other people. The more alert and sensiive we are to our own needs, the mor loving and generous we can be towards others".

I can but try... until God sends me a different job. Pray for me please.


Blessed be.

3 comments:

Karen Greenberg said...

I like the idea of change at work starting with you. Have you started that? How is it going? Remind me to get you some greeting cards to have on-hand to give to your co-workers. I have a HUGE batch of cards I was given for just that purpose.

Bonnie said...

Karen: I actually have started to change things at my work place. I put up a few uplifting pictures and sayings, took in a few toys to play with and some scented pencils to work with... it helps. And I listen to calming music throughoutthe day.

Karen Greenberg said...

So glad to hear that! It's always fun to see what a difference each of us can make in the environment around us. I hope some of your co-workers are seeing benefit to the change!